If you find yourself staying at the Inn at Little Pond Farm during the winter months, you may just be here during the best time of the year. Nestled in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains, we are a short drive from Boone, North Carolina, one of the state’s most well-known mountain towns.
Boone is home to Appalachian State university, amazing skiing, and plenty of cozy restaurants and shops to duck into when it starts to snow. Below is a list of our favorite winter weather activities near The Inn.
Outdoor Winter Activities in Boone, NC
- Appalachian Ski Mountain. Appalachian Ski Mountain is one of the oldest ski areas in Northwestern North Carolina and is home to 12 slopes and an ice skating rink! Appalachian Ski Mountain also has a Bavarian-style ski lodge where you can cozy up after a day of skiing or snowboarding and take in the beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
- Hawksnest Snow Tubing. Hawksnest Snow Tubing is a great option if you’re looking for a less extreme winter sport. This family friendly snow tubing destination is the perfect place to enjoy the weather and the mountains if skiing or snowboarding just isn’t for you!
- A Wintry Tour of Grandfather Mountain. Grandfather Mountain is a one stop experience for nature lovers. For a small admission fee, you can enter the park with your vehicle and drive up the mountain to the many attractions located in the park. Take a wintery walk through the trees to take in the sweeping vistas of the Blue Ridge Mountains, or walk along the famous swinging bridge. When you’ve had your fill of that cold mountain air, head over to the nature preserve and enjoy a cozy lunch at Mildred’s Grill before heading back down the mountain.
- Walking Tour of Historic Downtown Boone. Boone is a beautiful and unique place and this self-guided walking tour is the perfect way to immerse yourself in the culture of this historic town. Grab a cup of coffee from Espresso News as you walk around town taking in the rich history and culture of Boone.
Food & Drink Near Boone, NC
- The Horton Hotel Rooftop Lounge. The Horton Hotel rooftop lounge is the perfect place to end your day. Sit above King street wrapped in a cozy blanket, by a roaring fire, with a craft cocktail while you take in the spectacular night time views of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
- Boone Area Wine Trail. Is there anything better than a glass of wine on a cold February night? How about three! Take this self-guided tour of three of the high-country’s best wineries. This guide allows you to learn about the vintners and winemakers that make the wineries in the Boone area some of the best that North Carolina has to offer.
- Boone Brewery Tour. If you didn’t already know, North Carolina is home to many fantastic breweries and Boone is no exception! Mountain towns and beer seem to go hand in hand and if you’re looking for a way to enjoy all the breweries without planning for a designated driver, then the Boone Brewery Tour is perfect for you! You’ll be riding in comfort and style and you can even get a charcuterie board to snack on in between stops! Book a party bus or van for your group and head out to some of the best breweries around such as Booneshine, Blowing Rock Brewery, and Appalachian Mountain Brewery.
Indoor Activities Near Boone, NC
- Art Galleries — Many local artists have found a home for their work in Boone and there is no shortage of galleries for you to spend an afternoon getting lost in! Some of our favorites are Jones House and The Turchin Center for Visual Arts located on Appalachian State University’s campus. Bonus! Jones House also hosts indoor winter concerts on Sunday nights and is the perfect place to hear some of Boone’s local talent.
- The Appalachian Theatre. Stay warm and indoors on a cold Boone night with a show at the Appalachian Theatre! The historic Appalachian Theatre opened in 1938 and is a landmark of downtown Boone. The Appalachian Theatre is located in the heart of downtown Boone and is the perfect place to hear local musicians, enjoy a play, or a film festival!
- Shopping on King Street — King street is the main street of downtown Boone and there are numerous stores to get lost in when it starts to snow and you need to warm up. From nostalgic and regional sundries at Mast General Store, to antiquing at Appalachian Antique Mall or Antiques on Howard. Find the perfect treasure to bring home and remember your trip to the high country.
We hope this winter guide to Boone is the perfect compliment to your stay at the Inn at Little Pond Farm.
To book your stay at The Inn, click here.